Frequently Asked Questions


Who will my classmates be?
UC Berkeley seeks candidates with strong academic and professional backgrounds, and Master of Information and Cybersecurity candidates must meet the same rigorous admissions standards as students in our on-campus programs. While your classmates may come from a variety of backgrounds and industries, many will be cybersecurity professionals.

When do classes begin?
Visit our admissions overview page to see our cohort start dates and application requirements.

What are the program requirements?
The MICS program consists of 27 units. You are also required to attend at least one three- to four-day in-person immersion at a location to be determined.

How long does the program take to complete?
The program is designed for you to complete it in 20 months, taking two courses per term.

Will my course schedule be flexible?
The MICS program is designed with working professionals in mind. Most classes are held in the evening on Pacific Standard Time, and you are required to attend all sessions. You can expect weekly course content to be rigorous, but you also have the flexibility to complete your work at a location convenient to you.

Will my diploma denote that I earned my degree online?
When you graduate, you will receive the same diploma as students in other on-campus UC Berkeley graduate programs, with no indication that you earned your degree through an online program. You may partake in the on-campus graduation ceremony as well.

Is this degree delivered completely online?
All classes and course work are delivered entirely online. However, you are required to attend a three- to four-day in-person immersion at a location to be determined. Each immersion is crafted to deliver additional learning, networking, and community-building opportunities. During immersions, you will meet faculty and classmates while attending lectures and workshops, as well as during social and professional networking events.

Is this program accredited?
The Master of Information and Cybersecurity program is fully accredited by the Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC). WASC accreditation speaks to the quality of the program, the faculty, and the Berkeley I School. It ensures that the program will prepare you for a career in cybersecurity.

Return to top


Is there an undergraduate GPA requirement?
You should have a superior scholastic record, normally well above a 3.0 GPA.

Does it matter where I previously attended university?
Domestic applicants must hold or expect to hold a bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited U.S. university prior to the beginning of classes.

Graduates of recognized academic institutions outside the United States should hold a degree equivalent to a U.S. bachelor’s degree. International evaluators in the UC Berkeley Graduate Admissions Office will determine equivalency. If you’re not sure if your degree qualifies, please e-mail to confirm.

Who should I ask to write my letters of recommendation?
We prefer that letters come from your current direct supervisor. You can also select individuals with whom you have had considerable professional interaction, such as a former supervisor or a major client. The title or status of those you select is not important; what does matter is how closely your recommenders have worked with you and whether they can attest to your value as an employee, your professional accomplishments, and your personal qualities and interpersonal skills in an organizational context. Letters of recommendation from co-workers, someone you have supervised, or personal and family friends are inappropriate and can be detrimental to your application.

Is work experience required?
Although prior work experience is strongly preferred, it is not required for admission.

What educational or professional background is required for admission?
Applicants from a range of academic and professional backgrounds will be considered.

Can I request that my transcripts be sent electronically?
Many schools issue transcripts electronically, either through their own web services or through vendors. If this option is available through the institutions you attended, please specify that your transcript(s) be sent to This will expedite the delivery of your transcript(s) and the completion of your application. If you would like your transcripts to be sent by mail, please use the following address:

Application Processing Services
7900 Harkins Road
Suite #501
Lanham, MD 20706

What materials do I need to submit if I have previously applied to the School of Information?
We keep copies of previously submitted transcripts for two years from the date of your previous application; you will still need to submit any new or updated transcripts. We may have copies of previously submitted GRE, GMAT, or TOEFL scores submitted within the past five years; please e-mail to confirm. You will need to retake the exam if your exam date falls outside the acceptable time frame (five years for the GRE and GMAT, 18 months for the TOEFL or IELTS).

I’m interested in more than one UC Berkeley graduate degree. May I apply to both programs simultaneously?
No, you may only apply to one UC Berkeley graduate program per admissions cycle.

Is there an application fee?
There is an application fee of $105 for domestic applicants or $125 for international applicants. This fee is nonrefundable and must be paid when you submit your application.

Return to top

Online Learning

What is the online learning experience like?
You will attend live online classes each week, hosted via HD streaming video using the dynamic Zoom webinar platform. This face-to-face format brings students and faculty together in real time, which allows students to forge real, lasting relationships.

In addition to the live class sessions, you’ll complete self-paced course work throughout each week and have access to social groups with classmates and one-on-one interaction with faculty. You may read more about our online platform here.

How is the course work delivered and what does it entail?
UC Berkeley faculty has worked with world-class course developers to create an I School curriculum designed specifically for an online learning environment.

Before each weekly live class, you will complete course work on your own time. Course work is immersive and dynamic, and it prepares you for classroom discussions with peers and instructors. Content includes compelling videos, interactive case studies, recorded lectures, and collaborative activities that foster teamwork.

What are live class sessions like?
Our state-of-the-art online platform facilitates live, seminar-style classes driven by problem-solving, collaboration, and discussion. Classroom layouts can be adapted for the specific needs of each course and feature engaging sharing tools like live chats, breakout rooms, polling, and annotation. All tools and features are accessible on both desktop and mobile devices. After each class, you’ll have 24/7 access to class recordings.

How will I feel connected as an online student?
Our online platform facilitates collaboration and leads to real connections. You will create profiles similar to other social networking tools and can get to know your fellow students outside of class through social groups. In addition, you can meet classmates for study sessions, group project work, or even virtual happy hours using our online classrooms.

What is the student-to-faculty ratio?
Our class sizes do not exceed 20 students, and are often smaller.

Who teaches the courses?
The I School is made up of tenured and adjunct faculty, leading industry practitioners, and post-doctoral scholars. MICS classes are taught by many of the same I School faculty and cybersecurity professionals who teach on campus.

What student support and advising services are available to students?
Support begins the moment you request information and continues beyond graduation. You will be assigned an adviser who is available to meet with you one-on-one throughout the program to help you reach your academic and career goals. Our student support team will work with you to provide technical assistance and help you acclimate to our online learning community. Once you graduate, you will join the I School and UC Berkeley global alumni network, which connects you for life to other graduates around the world. You will also benefit from MICS for Life, which grants you lifetime access to UC Berkeley resources, including continuously updated course content so that you can stay current on new cybersecurity developments.

What career services are available to students?
You will have access to the UC Berkeley career services team, who will assist you in your job search, including resume-building and interviewing advice.

Return to top

Programming Competency

What is the optional skills and programming statement?
MICS applicants are encouraged to use the optional skills and programming statement to describe in more detail their experience with the core technical competencies, including programming. This statement should specify the programming language(s) in which you are proficient, describe your level of skill, and provide a brief explanation of how you developed this knowledge. The optional skills and programming statement can be uploaded as part of the online application.

Which programming languages meet this requirement?
MICS candidates are expected to have familiarity with several programming languages. Exposure to high-level object-oriented languages such as C++, Java, and Python is ideal, but not required.

Should any documents be submitted as evidence of programming proficiency?
Applicants should submit all documentation that proves their proficiency in our core competencies, including transcripts or certificates that show successful completion of online and in-person course work. In addition, applicants should use the optional skills and programming statement to describe their experience and level of proficiency.

Return to top

Math and Computer Science Knowledge

Do I need to complete any specific courses prior to applying to the MICS program?
It is not necessary to have completed specific courses in order to be admitted. However, your previous course work, on-the-job training, or self-study should demonstrate a:

  • High-level of quantitative ability
  • Advanced understanding of data structures and discrete mathematics
  • Knowledge of basic computer concepts including operating systems, architecture, and proficiency in computer programming

Return to top

Graduate Record Examination (GRE) or Graduate Management Admission Test (GMAT)

Is the GRE or GMAT exam required to apply to the MICS program?

May I take either the GRE or the GMAT?
Yes, and one is not preferred over the other.

What minimum test scores are required?
The I School has not set any minimum scores, but our most successful applicants score in the high percentiles (80s and 90s) on all sections of the exam.

Can the test scores be received after the application deadline?
The I School must receive all supporting application materials (test scores and letters of recommendation) no later than the announced deadlines.

Do applicants already admitted to the UC Berkeley Graduate Division need to take the GRE or GMAT?
All applicants must furnish valid GRE or GMAT scores. If your scores are already on file with the admissions office and are still valid, you do not need to resubmit them. For validity, please see the next question.

How long are test scores valid for admission purposes?
No more than five years may have passed between the GRE or GMAT test date and the application deadline.

What are the GRE school and department codes?
The GRE school code for UC Berkeley is 1634. The department code for the I School is 0404 (Information Sciences).

What is the GMAT school code?
The school code for the MICS program is N2V-Q0-40.

For the GRE/GMAT requirement, how do you define 10 years of professional full-time work experience?
Professional full-time work experience is defined as the total number of years and months of work experience you’ve had in a professional environment since completing undergrad, at the time of application submission.

Even if I do not have to submit GRE/GMAT scores, may I submit a score report as additional information for my application?
Yes. We particularly encourage candidates with a limited quantitative background to submit GRE/GMAT scores to provide additional insight into their quantitative abilities. Additionally, candidates with mediocre undergraduate grades might benefit from submitting strong GRE/GMAT scores to help demonstrate their academic aptitude.

Return to top

Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or International English Language Testing System (IELTS)

Are foreign national applicants who graduated from a university in the U.S. required to take the TOEFL or IELTS?
If you have completed at least one year of full-time academic course work with grades of B or better in residence at a U.S. university, you do not need to take the TOEFL. Instead, you must submit an official transcript from the U.S. university.

How long are TOEFL or IELTS scores valid for admission purposes?
No more than 18 months may have passed between the TOEFL or IELTS test date and the application deadline.

Should I include copies of my TOEFL or IELTS scores in my packet of supplemental materials?
No. Test scores should be sent directly from the testing authorities.

What are the TOEFL or IELTS school and department codes?
The school code for UC Berkeley is 4833. The department code for the I School is 99.

Test Codes

Test Codes
GRE 1634/0404 5 years
GMAT N2V-Q0-40 5 years
TOEFL 4833/99 18 months
IELTS TRF 1 18 months
1 Test Report Form must be sent directly from IELTS Return to footnote reference

Return to top

Tuition & Financial Aid

What is the cost of attendance?
For the 2018–2019 academic year, tuition is $2,592 per unit plus applicable campus fees. Tuition is charged per unit, and cybersecurity@berkeley is a 27-unit program. Please note that MICS program fees are subject to change, and you should expect them to rise each year.

Tuition includes technology platform licensing and support.

In addition, students will be charged a $500 immersion fee. Students will be responsible for the cost of lodging during the immersion and travel to and from the immersion.

What types of aid are available?
U.S. citizens and permanent residents are eligible to apply for federal financial aid programs, which include student loans. We encourage you to apply for financial aid as early as possible.

To be eligible for federal financial aid, students must be registered in a minimum of six units per term. Students who choose to take a less accelerated path toward completion of the degree should be aware that this will impact their federal financial aid eligibility.

How do I apply for financial aid?
To apply for federal aid, complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). The federal school code for UC Berkeley is 001312.

If you have questions about financial aid, please see the Tuition and Financial Aid FAQ.

Return to top